Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Quiet

Quiet. I wonder. Are we really listening? Or do we listen for a moment and then wander in the direction of distraction? Are you one of those (like me) who perceive distraction as an invitation to join the cacophony of movement and noise surrounding us? Quiet? I can hardly find that place anymore. And I’d like to, wouldn’t you?
I believe the reason this is on my mind today is because the last two weeks have been so loud. No. Not outwardly so much, though there have been moments of lacked peace. The noise I’m speaking of is inward. My mind has struggled to find quiet. So many needs, so many invitations to fall into distraction, and too much emotion to process at one time. Anything needing accomplishment outside of myself struggles in times like these. I need quiet.
So, like many of you, I choose prayer. I settle in with this verse:

The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing." Zephaniah 3:17 (NIV)


As I ponder Zephaniah 3:17, I discover that He first reminds me that He is my Salvation. He is Salvation to all who would receive His Son. I find my thoughts wandering to those who don’t yet know Him and pray they make the choice to make Him theirs. I meditate on His grace, mercy, and great love for all of His creation and cry out on behalf of those who walk apart from Him.

Next, He takes great delight in me. Pondering this portion of Zephaniah 3:17 catapults me into a more personal connection with my Savior. Wow. Truly I am at a lack for words. He delights in me. He delights in you. How can my distracted mind wander from the knowledge that He delights in me? My mind runs rampant with thoughts of what this could possibly mean.

… yet then

Next, He quiets me with His love—perfect Love. And with this, He has my rapt attention. I love Him right back with praise. I wash His feet with my tears and then rise into His embrace. And as He holds me close to His heart, I lean in as close as I can.

Now, I’m listening. Are you?

Do you hear the sweet sound? The sound of His voice? He is rejoicing over you with song. How tender His words. How sweet His embrace. How gentle His love.

… And I am quiet.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I absolutely love reading anything you write! I learn from you both spiritually and from a writer's perspective. Thank you for sharing your heart with us through your words of love.